Displaying Umlauts

I tried to display a word containing umlauts in my Dataview and the umlaut in the word just disappeared.
Why is this so and is there a way of displaying them properly, without using ae, ue, …, etc?
Because if we provide language options including German, it would be looking unprofessional if there were no umlauts. e.g. “Universitaetsklinikum” just doesn’t look right, especially if the logo containing an “ä” is on the same page.

Hi,

Text for DataViews is in UTF-8 so can include any unicode character.

However, the fonts used for the epaper screen display are pre-mapped to bitmaps, and so contain only a certain set of sizes (22 pixels height, 28 pixels height etc) and a limited subset of the full unicode set that might be possible. Therefore any character in the text that is not present in the mapping is either ignored or mapped to a base a-z character if possible.

The current character set is:

¬!"#£$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
[\]^_`{|}~…°
Ωαβγδθλμπωϕ£éèàùçêâôöüë€

Alas, we are missing the ä character in that list… it will be added to the next build; however as the font mappings are compiled into the core firmware this will not immediately appear on your device…

If you see other critical accented characters that are missing please let us know!

Thank you for the fast reply!
If I notice something else, I will not hesitate to point it out as well.